Wednesday 16 December 2009

my old ladies

my old ladies


I took this photo for a fellow pen-addict in a rush and only later I noticed I made a few mistakes. Actually the correct age order is 1, 3, 2, 5, 4, 6, 7 .



The Eversharp Skyline is most likely the older, since it sports a visulated section it's probably one of the first models from the early '40s. It has a nice fine nib, sadly quite firm :( but the pen is light and a joy to write with. So far it's my only lever-fill but I'm not sure it will be my last.

The Snorkel Admiral was produced between 1952-1959 so it should go at least after the Aurora in the photo.
At first I didn't like the open nib, too plain compared to variations of the Triumph nib, but I grew to love it, especially its big heart-shaped breather hole and 5 imprint. It's the first pen I detailed on my own so I was very proud of myself when the snorkel started sucking up water.

The Aurora 88 is a very lucky find.
I found the set with a matching mechanical pencil at a flea market. The pen was still in its original box with instructions and warranty, and the guy selling it obviously hadn't the faintest idea otherwise he wouldn't have sold it for merely 25€.
It's one of the first series made so probably it sat abandoned in a drawer since the late '40s! It has seen more action since I bought it than the last sixty years.
The nib is very flexible, I've yet to get used to this nib, sometimes I have problems writing with it because I have a very light hand and I'm used to stiffer nibs.

Again, age mistake. The pen is Sheaffer Imperial III (since it's improbable I had the luck the find a Target). It's a lovely c1961 Touchdown model with Triumph nib.
I love Triumph nibs, and that's enough for me, the pen itself it's quite boring, all black with a few gold accents but probably it accentuates the loveliness of the two-toned short nib. It's a good reliable writer, sturdy but light, usually it's filled with purple ink since that barrel is the safest for the evil staining purple.

Next here there is another Sheaffer Snorkel, a Statesman, common as muck, but who cares? Made in the earlier to mid '50s this pen has been gutted at least twice by yours truly but nevertheless manages to work, this is what I call resilience.
At first I didn't like the stub nib, too broad for my tiny handwriting, but as I acquired a fine nib to replace it I found that I quite liked the stubby quirkiness.

The Pelikan P1 is the least successful Pelikan ever made. The model was so unpopular (obviously inspired from Parker 61) it was only made for five years, from 1958 to 1963. It isn't a pen I wanted desperately but I came upon it at a charity sale still in its original box for merely 5€ so I picked it up.
But it's a good pen! It's a piston filler that holds a lot of ink, it has a surprisingly springy nib, it's light and well balanced, perfect for everyday use.

Last but not least the elusive Pilot MYU 701. I fell in love with this pen through the internet, looking at photos for long hours, until I took the plunge and found one on eBay compatible with my budget. At first I was highly disappointed because it's heavy (compared to plastic pens I'm used to) and the writing experience wasn't very satisfying, but I grew used to its weight, and I also switched to cartridges to improve the ink flow and now it's a smooth writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails